Mangement of Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
WHAT IS A URINE INFECTION?
A urine infection occurs when bacteria in any part of the urine system cause symptoms
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP PREVENT A URINE INFECTION?
- Drink enough fluid (6-8 glasses) so that you pass pale coloured urine regularly during the day, and to avoid feeling thirsty, especially during hot weather
- Avoid drinking too many fizzy drinks or alcohol
- There is no proven benefit of cranberry products or cystitis sachets
- Prevent constipation. Ask for advice if needed
- Maintain good control of diabetes
WHAT SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS SHOULD YOU LOOK OUT FOR?
- Pain or burning when passing urine
- High or low temperature
- Shivering or shaking
- Urgency (feeling the need to urinate immediately)
- Pain in your lower tummy above pubic area
- Incontinence (wetting yourself more often than usual)
- Passing urine more often than usual
- Cloudy urine, or visible blood in your urine
- Confusion, change in behaviour, or unsteadiness on feet
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.